Requirements for the Plumbing Apprenticeship Program
- Be at least eighteen (18) years old
- Have a High School Diploma or equivalent GED or High School Proficiency Certificate
- Valid California drivers license
- Be physically able to perform the work of the trade
- Complete an enrollment application. Bring your completed application to the examination appointment
- Pass Entrance Exam. You will take a written examination consisting of reading comprehension, math, and a ruler exam
- Pass Oral Interview: You will be given an oral interview by one of the members of the training staff
- Must be willing to commit to a four-year program
- Must work for a sponsoring contractor in the program
- Must be willing to follow the Rules and Regulations and Standards governing the program
Download Additional Forms
State and Federally Approved Plumbing Apprenticeship Program
PHCC-GSA-PUAC offers State & Federal registered Plumbing apprenticeship training programs for the 47 northern California counties. Federal trainee programs are offered in parallel with the state apprenticeship. p>
PHCC-GSA-PUAC Training programs give students the opportunity to learn a trade with paid hands-on experience, and while building a career. Students work for a C-36 Plumbing licensed contractor and are paid for on-the-job training. Apprentices and trainees are required to complete 800 hours of classroom instruction and 7,200 hours of on-the-job training during the four (4) year program.
The federally-approved apprenticeship program runs in conjunction with the state-approved training program. Students are registered with the United States, Department of Labor and are approved to work on Davis Bacon projects.
California requires the use of apprentices on all local and state public works construction projects. PHCC Apprentices are registered with the State of California, Division of Apprenticeship Standards and are certified to work as apprentices on public work projects.
Plumbing Trainee Program
The trainee program is offered to employers who perform residential and/or private commercial work. These employers want to provide an education to their employees to create a stronger workforce. The trainee program parallels the State Approved Apprenticeship Program and is offered throughout the state.
Trainees are not registered with the Division of Apprenticeship Standards and cannot work on public work projects as an apprentice.
Accelerated Plumbing Apprenticeship Program
The classroom instruction is conducted in two (2) week segments per year held at the PHCC PUAC Training Facility in Sacramento, CA.
Students work for a licensed C36 contractor and are paid for their On-the-Job-Training.
The sponsoring contractor pays the yearly enrollment fee.
Students are taught all facets of plumbing from residential, service & repair, to commercial construction.
Applicants with prior experience in the plumbing trade may be eligible to challenge 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year with proof submitted for previously completed work hours. Participation from current employer is a must. APPLICANT REQUIREMENTS
1. The applicant must first submit the required documentation and pass the entrance exam, oral interview and complete orientation.
2. At the time of Enrollment Request, if employer/applicant wish to challenge any years, PHCC will issue the Plumber Challenge Test Request Form to be completed and signed by both the applicant and employer.
3. The qualifying applicant must provide verifiable proof of at least one year of work hours equivalent to 2000 hours in the field experience via W2 forms per year challenging. If hours submitted do not meet the requirement, the hours will not be granted, and the applicant will not be permitted to take that year’s challenge test.
4. Applicants are given three hours to complete each test and must pass each year’s challenge test with a score of 70% or better.
5. Applicants may only take each challenge test one time and must pass each year’s test to progress to the next year’s test.
6. Challenge tests are open book. Applicant must bring their own 2015 Uniform Plumbing Code Book (UPC), Blue/Black ink pens, and Master 5 Construction calculator. None of items listed above will be provided by PHCC. Applicants will not be given study materials prior to the test.
Indentured apprentices must successfully complete both classroom and On-the-Job training hours to receive a certificate of completion from the State of California Division of Apprenticeship Standards, the Department of Labor, and the PHCC GSA PUAC.
Upon meeting the requirements and submitting all required documentation to PHCC, a test date will be scheduled.
QUESTIONS: contact the PHCC GSA Training Facility Monday through Thursday 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM and Fridays 7:00 AM to 3:00PM
Email : email@example.com