Requirements for the HVAC/R Apprenticeship Program
- Be at least eighteen (18) years old
- Have a High School Diploma or equivalent GED or High School Proficiency Certificate
- Valid California drivers license
- Be physically able to perform the work of the trade
- Complete an enrollment application.
- Pass Entrance Exam. You will take a written examination consisting of reading comprehension, math, and a ruler exam
- Pass Oral Interview: You will be given an oral interview by one of the members of the training staff
- Must be willing to commit to a five-year program
- Must work for a sponsoring contractor in the program
- Must be willing to follow the Rules and Regulations and Standards governing the program
Federally Approved HVAC/R Apprenticeship and Trainee Program
The Federally approved Apprenticeship program registers students with the United States, Department of Labor Office of Apprenticeship, making students eligible to work on Federal Davis Bacon jobs.
PHCC-GSA-PUAC offers Federal registered apprenticeship programs statewide.
Apprentices are required to complete 1,080 hours of classroom instruction and 8,000 hours of on the job training with the program lasting five (5) years.
The trainee program is offered to employers who perform residential and/or private commercial work. These employers want to provide an education to their employees to create a stronger workforce. The trainee program is offered throughout the state.
Trainees are not registered with the Division of Apprenticeship Standards and cannot work on public work projects as an apprentice.
The classroom instruction is conducted in two (2) week segments per year held at the PHCC-GSA-PUAC Training Facility in Sacramento, CA.
Students work for a contractor and are paid for their On-the-Job-Training.
The sponsoring contractor pays the yearly enrollment fee.
Students are taught all facets of HVAC/R from residential, service & repair, to commercial construction.
Accelerated HVAC/R Apprenticeship Program
Applicants with prior experience in the HVAC/R trade may be eligible to challenge 1st year with proof submitted for previously completed work hours. Participation from current employer is a must.
Challenge test information coming soon! For more information contact us at HVACinfo@phccgsa.org.